Thursday 30 October 2008

How it Began...

So last December I decided I was unhappy with being an unfit fatty. I had trouble keeping up with my rather tall husband as we trek around Disney World. This was made especially worse as I used to be a fit sporty kid. I used to ride my bike all day, run cross-country races (I even won once), and swim laps for an hour without blinking. As an adult though I struggle with a flight of stairs.

I decided to run the London Marathon 2009. That would give me over a year to train, surely that would be enough time?

As part of my “plan” I entered the Royal Parks Half Marathon, despite having never run a race as an adult.

I spent hours researching training plans, subscribed to Runners World Magazine, bought new trainers (and more new trainers!) and books and other kit. I already had my own treadmill, as this wasn’t completely out of the blue…I had been running irregularly for the last two years.

I started following a 5K training plan from the Nike website, and then I followed a 10K Nike plan. I decided to do an actual 10K race at the end of the plan, to get a bit of “race experience”. I entered the Bupa Great Capital 10K on 20th July 2008.

After the 10K I started a Runner’s World half marathon training plan, it was relatively achievable 3-4 runs a week. Speedwork…err interesting.

I also entered the Adidas Women’ Challenge on 7th September, a 5K fun run to get some “mass start” experience. As I understand, the difference between a race and a fun run, is a race gives you an official finish time (either chip, or crossing the line), a fun run doesn’t. You have to time yourself.

A few days before the half marathon, the London Marathon public ballot results came out…I didn’t get in. I was depressed, although I know in advance the odds were 1 in 5, I think this year they were 1 in 8 with the new online entry system.

After running my half, I decided I really REALLY wanted to run the London Marathon…it was after all the reason I’d started training properly.

So, I applied for a couple of charity places…and got one!!!

Thank you VICTA (Visually Impaired Children Taking Action)

No comments: