Monday 9 February 2009

Long Runs

I’ve now completed the first 7 weeks of my 18 week plan. After yet another bout of sickness, mainly consisting of a painful sore throat and cough, I went to the Drs. She thinks there an inflamed something or rather in my nose, as has prescribed me the steroid used by asthma sufferers, to be inhaled nasally instead of orally. Unfortunately it will take a month to take effect. But she told me it was safe to run, so I’m back on track.

I’ve now done long runs on Sunday of 14 and 16 Miles (thats Miles, not KMs…). I have however decided to adopt the Runners World Magazine “Get You Round” tactic of running 5 minutes, then walking 1 minutes.

I still haven’t solved the blister problem. My new saucony shoes do allow me to run longer than any other shoe I’ve had, and if I cover effected areas in blister patches I can actually run pain free, however I’m not sure that will hold up for the full 26.2 Miles (or 42KMs). I shall be heading off to the podiatrist soon.

We’ve had some lovely snow in London over the last few weeks. Unfortunately Tim and I live close enough to work that we can walk in, so no day off making snowmen for us. It hasn’t effected my training though, I’ve just done my long runs on my treadmill.

My next race will be the Bath Half Marathon on March 15th. Tim and I are making a weekend of it, and are staying in a nice hotel for a couple of nights, and taking the Monday off work.

http://www.runninghigh.co.uk/

Next week is a “recovery” week, looking forward to the long run “only” being 12 Miles. You would think that I’d be losing loads of weight with all this running, but no. Apparently its very common to put weight on. Something about putting on muscle. I’m careful about what I eat, but still, I have to eat more than usual the day or two after a long run, as I get VERY VERY hungry. Speaking of hungry…wonder what’s in the fridge…

No comments: